Submission for Amazon Prime Video Take One Award has been closed.
The Tokyo International Film Festival (TIFF) is pleased to announce that it is partnering with Amazon Prime Video to launch the Amazon Prime Video Take One Award, which aims to discover talented new directors through an open call for short film submissions at the 34th TIFF, which will be held from October 30 – November 8, 2021.
One of TIFF’s goals is to introduce a diversity of Japanese films to the world, from challenging indies to commercial titles. As part of its ongoing efforts to discover new talent, TIFF is launching, with the support of Amazon Prime Video, this new directors award for filmmakers living in Japan who have not made a commercial feature. The award winner will be determined by the judging of short film submissions (under 15 minutes). Please refer to the regulations below for submission details.
Amazon Prime Video, a major digital streaming service that distributes worldwide a variety of video works including excellent original content, endorses TIFF’s aim of discovering new talent and has agreed to sponsor the award. The winner will be given a prize of 1 million yen by Amazon Prime Video as well as the opportunity to explore the production of a feature film with Amazon Studios. The members of the jury will be announced at a later date.
TIFF and Amazon Prime Video look forward to discovering new talent shining brightly even within the limited format of short film, and to helping filmmakers expand their horizons of film from Tokyo to the world.
Submissions of short films for the Amazon Prime Video Take One Award are being accepted from today, July 19 through September 15, via the TIFF official website.
For detailed information below
Amazon Prime Video amazon.co.jp/PrimeVideo/
Amazon Prime Video offers customers a wide variety of content, from films, including Amazon Originals, to TV shows such as dramas, variety shows, and animation. All titles are available on hundreds of compatible devices.
Application regulations for Amazon Prime Video Take One Award
Article 1: Eligibility
All films selected and invited for “Amazon Prime Video Take One Award” must meet the following conditions.
(1) Must be short films of 15 minutes or less running time.
(2) Must be films completed on or after January 1st, 2020.
(3) Must be films which can be streamed exclusively worldwide on Amazon Prime Video during and after Tokyo International Film Festival (TIFF).
(4) Must be films directed by filmmakers who have never participated in the production of commercial films as a director, scriptwriter or producer in their career.
(5) Must be films directed by filmmakers who live in Japan.
(6) Must be films directed by filmmakers who are willing to cooperate with promotion activities related with TIFF and “Amazon Prime Video Take One Award” (PR activities regarding Amazon and TIFF such as participating in the award ceremony, a press conference, press interview, video interview, posting on SNS) when selected as finalists or the winner.
(7) Must be films directed by filmmakers who are willing to cooperate with Amazon regarding a development of a feature film when selected as the winner.
Article 2: Prize
(1) TIFF and Amazon will review submitted films and select several finalists. Films by the finalists will be screened to the public at one of the official screening venues of TIFF during the festival period in DCP format. In principle, TIFF will cover the cost to create a DCP. The films by the finalists may be streamed on Amazon Prime Video in whole or part.
(2) Jury members selected by TIFF and Amazon will review the films by the finalists, and select the winner of “Amazon Prime Video Take One Award”.
(3) The winner of “Amazon Prime Video Take One Award” will receive:
1. The opportunity to pitch ideas for a feature film to Amazon Studios, which produces Amazon Originals.
2. The opportunity to receive mentorship by a professional for writing a script of a feature film.
3. The opportunity to seek development of a feature film in cooperation with Amazon Studios.
4. One million Japanese Yen cash prize.
Amazon reserves the right to decide on whether to develop the script into a film, as well as the right to decide on the director and producer of the film in case the script is to be developed into a film.
Article 3: Entry for Pre-Selection
Entries must be made on TIFF’s website.
Those who are qualified according to the conditions of Article 1 hereinabove may apply by filling in the entry form and submitting an online screener.
(2) Deadlines for Submissions and Entry Fee
Deadline for Submissions: September 15th, 2021
Entry Fee: No entry fee is required.
(3) Preview Screeners
Fill in the online link (URL) on the entry form.
(4) Selection Result
The result of Pre-Selection will be notified via e-mail by mid-October 2021.
(5) Qualification for Finalists
In order to qualify for finalists, candidates must agree to the terms regarding the streaming of their films and the prizes which will be sent to the candidates of finalists.
Participants are deemed to have fully understood and accepted all the regulations specified hereinabove and in the entry form. Matters not covered by the regulations or the entry form and any questions arising thereof will be resolved by the TIFF Organizing Committee in accordance with the regulations of the International Federation of Film Producers Associations.
All inquiries to:
Amazon Prime Video Take One Award Unit
Tokyo International Film Festival